When you are planning your Swiss Alps ski vacation, there are several essential elements that you want to consider before deciding on a Switzerland ski resort. Switzeralnd has many ski resorts in the Swiss Alps that offer great skiing facilities; however, there is only one ski resort that combines the best skiing conditions with world-class cuisine, designer shops, breathtaking views of the mountains and luxurious accommodations – – Zermatt. Here are seven reasons why you should choose Zermatt for your next Switzerland ski vacation.
- Access to over 400km of pistes. With the largest and most exciting ski areas in the Alps, Zermatt is the number one ski destination for avid skiers. Three main ski areas in Zermatt are interconnected to cover over 200km of pistes. Zermatt is also linked to the Valtournenche and Cervinia ski areas in Italy which adds another 200km of runs to enjoy. This is one of the most exciting ski areas in the Alps and attracts thousands of skiers each year.
- Variety of ski runs. Zermatt offers a variety of ski runs that accommodate skiers of every level. Beginners can enjoy learning new techniques at the ski school before hitting the beginner slopes while intermediate skiers will like the challenge of higher slopes that expand their skills and prepare them for the highest and hardest advanced runs. Zermatt also has excellent off-piste possibilities for skiers seeking more thrills and a greater challenge than the runs may offer.
- Year-round skiing. Zermatt offers year-round skiing facilities with snowmaking at lower altitudes and real snow at the higher elevations. The highest lift sits at 3,883m and offers at vertical drop of 2,356m. There are very few places in Europe that you can ski such excellent conditions all year round.
- Ease of transportation and ski passes – You can pre-order ski passes so that you do not need to wait in line once you arrive at Zermatt. You can purchase passes that cover the Zermatt areas or an all-inclusive pass that allows you to ski the Italy areas as well. The integrated system of lifts and cable cars allows riders to reach their chosen runs quickly and easily while enjoying great views of the Matterhorn and the other magnificent peaks that surround Zermatt. The Matterhorn Express now goes from the resort to the Trockener Steg at 2,900m.
- World-class cuisine. Zermatt has five-star fine dining options both on the slopes and in the village itself. Many of the Zermatt hotels boost restaurants with world-renowned chefs and cuisines.
- Shopping. Zermatt has trending shops throughout the village that have the latest fashion trends combined with authentic, local pieces that demonstrate the talent of local artisans.
- Lodging. As you would expect from a famous Swiss Alps ski resort, the hotels in Zermatt are some of the finest in all of Europe. From five-star Zermatt hotels to mountain chalets and rental apartments, there is a Zermatt accommodation for every need and budget.
Let us help you plan your Zermatt vacation by visiting our hotels page for the latest travel and vacation discounts on all Zermatt accommodations.